My favorite albums of 2018
December 5, 2018
Annually posted, never asked for. Here they are.
- Low - Double Negative.
Insanely different but undeniably Low. It's so good. It's magical.
- Julia Holter - Aviary.
It seemed like she was gonna go pure pop with that last album. But this is sprawling, experimental. Seemingly of control but definitely by design at all times. For an hour and a half.
- Church of the Cosmic Skull - Science Fiction
I don't know what this is but I love it. I love their schtick, I love their hooks. I love it.
- Chris Carter - Chemistry Lesson
Easily his best solo album, 40 years into his career.
- Hissing - Permanent Destitution
Lots of good death metal this year but this was the weirdest, most uncomfortable, disorienting one. Who even knows what's going on here.
- Fister - No Spirit Within
Good sludge this year too, but these guys have made their best record and it just rips.
SPECIAL TUNED TOO DAMN LOW AWARD
Glasghote - Rite of the Siren
Good stuff: Art Class
- Half Waif - Lavender
- Nils Frahm - All Melody
- Tim Hecker - Konoyo
- Lucretia Dalt - Anticlines
- Laurie Anderson with the Kronos Quartet - Landfall
- GAS - Rauch
- Mary Lattimore - Hundreds of Days
Good stuff: Slow 'n' Steady
- Thou - Magus
- Oryx - Stolen Absolution
- Abstracter - Cinereous Incarnate
- SUMAC - Love in Shadow
- Moloch - A Bad Place
- Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed
- Body Void - I Live Inside a Burning House
BLAST BEAT CORNER
- Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms
- Ulthar - Cosmovore
- Glacial Tomb - S/T
- Infernal Coil - within a forgotten world
- Wolvhammer - Monuments of Ash and Bone
- Bloodbath - The Arrow of Satan is Drawn